Monday, February 3, 2014

Review: Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. "The Venom Inside"

I’d imagine that for this, which was the last HatAoS episode for a short while, the writers sat down and decided that they wanted to create an episode that really got to the core of the show, summing up its run. Then they decided that they didn’t want to make an episode that was 100% awful and gave us a crossover, instead.

This episode was boring. I actually don’t have much to critique, because the vast majority of the episode was just a big fight scene. The fight was done well, but the repeated absorption of the Hulks made little sense after it was revealed that the symbiote could absorb them all at once.

Other than that… what else can I say? Well, I guess I can critique the series as a whole up to this point.

There have been good episodes, and bad episodes. The general trend is that the show's been getting better, so I’d imagine that this show could actually end up as worthwhile TV. Right now, however, this is shaping up to be that show that someone will mention ten years from now to their friend, who will either respond with “It wasn’t that great” or “It was okay” before forgetting about it all over again.

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is nothing special, but that’s better than it has any right to be. I think that the few good moments in this series happen because there really is some good talent behind this show, and they’re doing what they can with a weak set-up.

All in all, was the season good so far? Not overall.
Would I go back and watch these episodes? Not unless I had to, with very few exceptions.
BUT!
Am I looking forward to the next batch of episodes? Kind of.

Like I said, the show is generally getting better, and it really does have good talent behind it. Take away some juvenile humor (which they’ve already pretty much done away with) and add a quality story arc? I’m cautiously optimistic, despite all my grumblings.

Let's see how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta say, I enjoyed Spider-Man's portrayal here as the under appreciated genius/only sane man much more than I like his depiction on Ultimate Spider-Man. Strange, considering this show is generally of lesser quality than USM, which is, y'know, an actual Spider-Man tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just appreciated the fact that Spidey didn't break the fourth wall. Which is kind of ironic, when you realize that this is the show where he has an EXCUSE to.

    ReplyDelete