Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sketchbook: Then and Now 2, Sentry Redux

Well, I was going through my closet looking for more old drawings to redo, and I found the portfolio we put out for my high school graduation. As I leafed through it, I found not one, but two more drawings of the Sentry, far enough apart from each other that you can see the progression in quality. I found it pretty fascinating just to see what's changed over the years. So what I did was put all four drawings side-by-side-by-side-by-side.
Let's take a look!

Left:  2007                                                     Right:2009
Left:  2010                                                   Right: 2013
2007: Crappy drawing, I've mentioned that in the earlier post.
2009: Better.  There's a definite anatomy to speak of, and the artwork "flows" better.
2010: Marked improvement, but takes heavy inspiration from the Superman Returns poster. Not sure, but tracing may have been involved to help with the perspective.
2013: Definitely an improvement in anatomy, flow, highlighting, and hair artwork.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to actually be able to see improvement in my artwork on the same subject over a period of time. Kind of opened my eyes. I wonder if a few years down the road I'll upload another Sentry sketch? Well, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2 comments:

  1. You draw quite well. The only comment I would have is that the left hand looks a little weird but everything else looks great. Personally I already think this is already much better than many of Rob Liefeld's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, that left hand gave me trouble; wasn't completely happy with it, but I decided that leaving it a bit wonky would be better than possibly making it worse.

      Delete