Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sketchbook: Reverse-Flash Redesign Revisited

So, story time.

I used to be the proud owner of Corel Painter IX, a wonderful digital art program. I tinkered around with it for a few years, but just as I was starting to seriously try to get good at it and maybe make a living with it, my computer died.

And for some reason, my new computer won't run the decade-old program without crashing. Go figure.

With a recent art venture looking like it would need something better than MS Paint, I would an amazing program online known as Krita. Open source, completely free, and pretty dang good, if a little tricky to use.

So in order to get some practice hours in with this new program, I spent about three hours revisiting one of my old redesigns. The second one I did, actually.

Reverse-Flash.

A reversed New 52 Flash. Simple, but I like how the photo-negative face turned out.
So I sketched a quick sketch and scanned it in, and here's what I came up with after a couple hours.

Still like the photo-negative face.
Not exactly Rembrandt quality, but I'm pretty proud with the results of my screwing around, since I haven't used a digital art program in over a year. And I don't even have an art tablet anymore; I had to do this with a mouse.

But it fills me with confidence for that commission I've been working on....

4 comments:

  1. I've been recently doing research on Flash. Among other things I learned that Reverse Flash AKA Eobard Thawne was mostly going by "Professor Zoom". So in New 52 there was Eobard Thawne who was going by Zoom and was till wearing yellow and completely new guy called Reverse Flash, which was the one you've shown in first RF redesign.

    With that knowledge, any comment Thawne's design in New!52?

    -Faceless Enigma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It sucks.

      The cool thing about Professor Zoom's costume is that its design is EXACTLY THE SAME as Flash's, just with the colors flipped and the backwards lightning bolt. I don't know who redesigned it, but they made it too different from Barray Allen's outfit.

      Delete
    2. Though I do recognize that the black portions were inspired by the awesome live-action version from the CW. Doesn't mean that it looks good here, though.

      Delete
  2. It was me, Barry! It was me all along!

    ... Sorry. Couldn't resist.

    - That One Anon

    ReplyDelete